Explainers

Explaining Operational Excellence of Syracuse University’s Fast Forward initiative

More than $200 million worth of renovations will be made to the Carrier Dome as part of the Campus Framework, which Operational Excellence will help fund.

The Operational Excellence component of Fast Forward Syracuse is the engine that will in theory allow for the other two components — the Academic Strategic Plan and the Campus Framework — to be fully implemented.

Operational Excellence does so by helping Syracuse University create opportunities to fund investment in the Strategic Plan and the Framework. Under Operational Excellence, SU is “evaluating opportunities to deliver better levels of service to students, faculty and staff to improve the overall effectiveness of the University, and be good stewards of our students’ tuition dollars,” according to the Fast Forward website.

what-is-operational-excellence

Emma Comtois | Digital Design Editor

Through Operational Excellence, investment objectives, two committees that exist to provide input and several investment initiatives are outlined.

Objectives

The Operational Excellence objectives are the following:

• Increase efficiency and effectiveness across the University
  • Control costs and find better ways to do business
  • Foster, encourage and help realize good ideas
  • Generate savings and new revenue for investment in the priorities identified in the Strategic Plan and Campus Framework

Committees

Two committees exist through Operational Excellence: the Steering Committee and the Executive Committee.

The Steering Committee’s purpose is to provide input on the Operational Excellence component and its work, according to the Fast Forward website. Its members include students, faculty, staff and administrators across campus.

The Executive Committee is a smaller group tasked with providing “high-level” oversight to Operational Excellence. Each of its members also serve on the Steering Committee.

operational-excellence-big-number

Emma Comtois | Digital Design Editor

Initiatives

Through Operational Excellence, there are several initiatives SU is pursuing, each of which are designed to drive savings for investment in the rest of Fast Forward.

Those initiatives include the following:

• Standardize and consolidate purchases of office supplies
  • Design travel procedures that both save money and make travel plans easier
  • Standardize printer and copier purchasing
  • Outline policies to improve employee relations and communication
  • Evaluate the University Bookstore’s ability to better meet the needs of students and the university
  • Design a way to track, manage outreach to alumni and donors
  • Streamline and enhance research enterprise services
  • Modernize, enhance and streamline common human resources processes
  • Make telecommunications more efficient
  • Enhance organizational effectiveness, efficiency