Fast reactions: 3 quick takeaways from No. 1 Syracuse’s 9-8 win over Binghamton on Senior Day

Jacob Greenfeld | Asst. Photo Editor

Ben Williams put together a strong fourth quarter performance at the X to push the Orange past the Bearcats.

In a clash of top-12 offense and top-10 defense, No. 1 Syracuse avoided an upset Saturday afternoon with its 9-8 victory over unranked Binghamton. The Orange, now winners of nine straight, trailed twice after the first quarter, before hanging on to the victory inside the Carrier Dome to hand the Bearcats its third consecutive loss. In its final tine-up before next week’s ACC tournament, the Orange’s (11-1, 4-0 Atlantic Coast) Evan Molloy blocked a late goal from Binghamton’s (9-4, 3-2 America East) Griffin Konen to secure the win.

SU senior attack Jordan Evans scored three goals and Binghamton redshirt senior attack Tom Moore scored five, including his 39th of the season with 2:38 remaining, to pull the Bearcats within one. But SU improved to 6-0 against the Bearcats since their first meeting in 2010.

Here are three quick reactions to the game.

Hold your breath

No. 1 Syracuse has avoided close loss after close loss this year, and Saturday was no different. The Bearcats, which earned its first Inside Lacrosse Top 20 ranking since 2006, boasts the nation’s sixth-best defense. The team played on only two days rest, following their 10-4 loss at No. 5 Albany Wednesday night. The same defense that held Great Danes attack Connor Fields to only one goal held SU to fewer than 10 goals for the first time since March 18 at Johns Hopkins.

Several uncharacteristic plays from SU veterans and little offensive flow allowed Binghamton to stay in it. Scott Firman was not his usual lockdown self, Evans scored two first-half goals but committed a careless turnover while spinning near the crease, Nick Mariano drifted into the crease behind the cage and third defender Marcus Cunningham was called with an in-and-out after a long possession on defense.

On SU’s only man-up, in the fourth quarter, Mariano had a shot blocked and Sergio Salcido turned the ball over. SU head coach John Desko scratched his head after the country’s top man-up unit appeared out of sync.

But out of a timeout at 9-8 with 52 seconds on the clock, the Orange locked down to secure the victory. Molloy saved Konen’s attempt at both a tie and sixth goal of the day.

Moore with more

Binghamton senior attack Moore, who transferred from Denver to Jacksonville before arriving at Binghamton, scored five goals. He had a hat trick in the first half alone. SU’s best defender, Firman, has held several opposing attackmen to below their season averages. On Saturday, Firman was caught playing help D or simply beat by Moore.

In the second, Firman sagged off Moore and turned his body to force him right. The Bearcats’ leading scorer complied, taking a few hard steps right and bouncing in his third goal of the day past Molloy, giving Binghamton a 5-4 lead.

It only takes three

In only his third season at Syracuse, Williams became the program’s all-time faceoff wins holder. At the start of the third quarter, the senior transfer from Holy Cross picked up No. 623 for his career. Williams won only 4-of-13 in the first half, but it’s quite the accomplishment for a guy from Minnesota who was told he’d never make it to a top program such as Syracuse.

He entered Saturday 42 for his last 70 at the faceoff X, and he continued his recent success against the Bearcats.

He did win the first faceoff of the fourth quarter. He jogged off to enthusiastic applause from both Desko and assistant coach Kevin Donahue, who nodded his head. He gathered the next one on a violation, following Ryan Simmons’ second goal of the day to give SU a one-score lead. Forty seconds later, Jamie Trimboli absorbed a couple of checks to score his second goal of the day to make it 9-7 — enough for the win.