Commencement 2017

Get your parents out of the hotel room with these Syracuse staples

Casey Russell | Feature Editor

From Armory Square to Onondaga Lake Park, these local spots are places not to miss during students' final days in Syracuse.

For those graduating seniors worried about entertaining their parents while they visit for graduation, look no further. Here are some Syracuse staples to get them out of the hotel room on commencement and Mother’s Day weekend. 

Walk on through

Since its opening in 2014 the Syracuse City Market has been a summer staple. With almost 100 vendors, participants can find anything from antiques to handmade crafts.

The event is held outside the doors of the Everson Museum of Art in the outskirts of downtown Syracuse. Admission to the museum is free on City Market Sundays. The market is held every second Sunday of the month from May to October.

“Ain’t No Mountain High Enough”

Landmark Theatre will host “Motown the Musical” on May 16. The musical follows the life of Motown founder Berry Gordy, who is responsible for launching the careers of music legends such as Diana Ross, Smokey Robinson and Michael Jackson.

After a $16 million renovation six years ago, the theater provides a highbrow night on the town. Students and their families can end their time in Syracuse while listening to classics like “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” and “My Girl.”

Cheaper by the dozen

Located near Destiny USA, the Central New York Regional Market is one of the biggest in the state with flea markets on Sunday and farmers markets on Thursdays and Saturdays. The market has been around for more than 50 years and boasts some of area’s fresh produce.

With options including free-range chicken eggs, fresh broccoli, homemade soap, mini-tractors and baked goods, this market is not one to miss. For those who forgot to buy mom a Mother’s Day present, flowers will be available for purchase from one of the dozen floral vendors.

Hop to it

People traveling to Syracuse may have seen a Middle Ages Brewing Company sign more than a few times — the brewery has a bar right in the middle of the Syracuse Hancock International Airport.

With its main branch located on the Near Westside of Syracuse, the brewery offers locally made growlers and bar food. The family-owned business is known for its cozy and friendly vibes and offers tours of the brewery and how each tap is made. Named after the city it resides in, the Syracuse Pale Ale provides a taste of the city and a way to celebrate the last four years.

Greener pastures

If Syracuse’s infamous weather stays at bay, take a stroll through the Onondaga Lake Park. The entire area surrounding Onondaga Lake has undergone a $100 million renovation, and the county park is one of the new additions. Among the activities available are archery, fishing, canoeing, volleyball and camping. The park offers a way to get the family out of the hotel to enjoy the great outdoors.