Environment Column

Visit Delphi Falls and rediscover how nature can bring us together

Peter Morrissey | Environment Columnist

Delphi Falls County Park is 60 acres and was opened to the public in January.

A new waterfall just opened 30 minutes from Syracuse. Its magnificence needs to be seen, and its spirit emulated.

Because the area was private for years, people of the Delphi Falls community didn’t visit the waterfall even though their town was named after it. Delphi Falls was a private waterfall, but now, it’s open to the public.

Earlier this year, Harold Jones, former Chair of Linguistics at Syracuse University, bought the waterfall and sold it to Madison County. When Jones saw the opportunity to purchase the land the waterfall is on, he couldn’t pass up the chance to bring its beauty to the general population.

Jones said he’s motivated by a desire to preserve the things he loves and make them available to others, he said. He’s done this through his various land donations and artwork donated to Syracuse University.

op_embed_petermorrissey

Harold Jones bought Delphi Falls County Park for $900,000 and sold to Madison County for $150,000. Peter Morrissey | Environment Columnist

“The more we can all get involved in trying to discover and preserve these beautiful areas, the happier we will be,” said Jones

We should take a similar attitude.We need to show kindness to others by allowing them to share in the things that bring us joy. It’s a simple concept, and one that offers rewards for you and your companions.

Sometimes what stands in the way of someone and something beautiful is just their knowledge of its existence. While it’s nice to have secret getaways, consider people who might not have any escapes of their own.

One of the best features of Delphi Falls is its accessibility. It’s easy to push a stroller, and not hard to move a wheelchair to the base of the falls. Anyone can enjoy it. So don’t hesitate to invite your older friends, relatives or children that you know.

This accessibility is important because it’s not only helpful for those who are physically handicapped, but also for those who are economically handicapped. It’s completely free, and that’s no small feature for something which is so entertaining.

Delphi Falls reminds us of the environmental gems in our backyard. But it doesn’t necessarily have to be so grande. Maybe your solace comes from your favorite walk, or a spider you think is cool or the way a particular tree grew in spite of the telephone poles.

In any case, let others be a part of your personal connections to nature — it’ll only bring us closer.

Peter Morrissey is a entrepreneurship and emerging enterprises and information management and technology dual major. His column appears bi-weekly. He can be reached at pmorriss@syr.edu.