From the Stage

Wallows performs new and old favorites at The Westcott Theater

Sarah Lee | Asst. Photo Editor

At The Westcott Theater, Wallows performed songs such as "Remember When" and "Are You Bored Yet?" from its 2019 album, "Nothing Happens."

String lights stretched across the ceiling of The Westcott Theater, gently bringing into view the inside of the intimate venue. A long line snaked around the merchandise table, and inflatable beach balls were being tossed around over the heads of audience members, some of whom had been there since 11 a.m.

Last night, Wallows brought its distinct indie, alternative-rock sound to Syracuse, along with opening act Penelope Isles, as part of its Nothing Happens tour. The Westcott Theater was full of young adults, and a few chaperoning parents, eager to revel in the music of childhood friends Dylan Minnette, Braeden Lemasters and Cole Preston that make up Wallows.

Elizabeth Burke, a loyal fan since 2017, drove for three hours from Pennsylvania to see Wallows live, hoping to hear the band play “Pulling Leaves off Trees” and “Pictures of Girls.”

For another fan, Zoey Greenberg, this was her third Wallows concert. “I saw them at their free show at Amoeba Music when their first EP came out, and then I saw them this summer at The Fonda Theatre in LA,” she said. She also introduced her roommate to the band, who was at the concert as well, to Wallows.

The night began when the U.K.-based alternative band Penelope Isles emerged onstage to cheers from the audience. The band is composed of siblings Jack and Lily Wolter, Becky Redford and Jack Sowton. “We’re here to get you stoked for Wallows,” yelled Lily, the lead singer.

Photograph of Wallows band member Dylan Minnette playing the guitar

Wallows band member Dylan Minnette addressed the crowd after the band performed two songs, including a version of the “Drake and Josh” theme song. Sarah Lee | Asst. Photo Editor

The audience was hesitant at first, as many of them weren’t familiar with the band’s music, but by the second song, packed with long drum and guitar solos and transitions, the rhythm and base ebbed throughout the crowd. Heads were bobbing along to the almost psychedelic tones of “Underwater Record Store” and “Round.”

“Come say hi, and let’s get to know each other, yeah?” Lily called out as the group left the stage. The audience was still basking in all of Penelope Isles’ dream pop glory when the stage began to flash pink and yellow lights and Wallows entered. The crowd erupted into applause.

After performing two songs, including a version of the “Drake and Josh” theme song, lead singer Minnette addressed the crowd.

“We saw a lot of you out there sitting early, early in the cold,” Minnette said. “We can’t tell you how much that means to us.”

Preston also called out a specific person in the venue. “One of my long-time friends is here tonight. I’m so proud of him, he’s going to Syracuse … Go Orange!”

The band launched into a high-energy series of songs, including “It’s Only Right” and crowd favorite “Pictures of Girls” before transitioning into their slow tracks. Lemasters took the stage for “1980s Horror Film,” and the audience swayed to the music.

Photograph of Braeden Lemasters on stage lifting his hand

During the concert, Wallows band member Braeden Lemasters gave a shoutout to Recess Coffee, stating that he went to the coffee shop twice that day. Sarah Lee | Asst. Photo Editor

Lemasters even took a moment to shout-out a local Syracuse favorite.

“And I want to say, Recess Coffee, that’s where it’s at … I went there twice today and got the same thing twice,” he said, and his voice was almost drowned out by cheers from the audience. “It feels just like a movie or something.”

The show continued with “Uncomfortable,” “Remember When” and “Pleaser.” “Make it the best Thursday night of your life right now,” Minnette yelled, as the crowd jumped and danced along, singing parts of the songs without any help from the band.

“We’re going to leave every ounce of our energy here — I hope you do too,” Minnette said before the band performed the last few songs of the show, including “Are You Bored Yet?” which features Clairo, a former Syracuse University student, who also had a show at The Westcott in November 2019. They ended the show with “Scrawny.” Neon lights were flashing, beach balls were flying and the crowd cheered the loudest it had all night.

Another fan, Salma Zaracho, became obsessed with Wallows as soon as she started listening to them. She and a friend, Gerardo Torres, drove all the way from New York City to come see the show.

“We know they’re coming to Brooklyn in June, but we had to go see them in Syracuse,” Torres said. “We couldn’t wait.”