Student Association

SA passes bill allocating $1,000 for voting booths, election signs

Wendy Wang | Staff Photographer

SA will purchase 100 green “vote” yard signs to be posted around the SUNY-ESF campus as well as 100 orange “vote” yard signs which will be planted around Syracuse University’s campus.

Student Association’s Vice President of Academic Affairs Linh Le made an announcement that asked SA members to spread a survey to international students regarding English as a second language courses.

Le said many international students have come to her with concerns about the courses. She said some students believe the course should be optional due to drastic differences in English proficiency among students.

“These level of differences make a class very easy for some and very hard for others,” Le said.

Some students, Le said, believe they should be able to take a course such as WRT 105 instead.

“The university should make changes to the course to make it more helpful for all students and not just for some students. I want to see some changes to the course. If not, make it optional,” Le said.

Additionally, SA passed a bill on Monday which allocated just over $1,000 toward the acquisition of materials for the upcoming spring elections.

With the passage of the bill, SA will purchase 100 green “vote” yard signs to be posted around the SUNY-ESF campus as well as 100 orange “vote” yard signs which will be planted around Syracuse University’s campus.

Along with the yard signs, the bill enables SA to purchase five private voting booths for in-person voting in several locations around SU’s campus.

During the meeting, SA also announced that spring break bus tickets are available at SU’s student box office. All buses will leave campus on Friday, March 11.

Speaker of the Assembly William Treloar called upon members to serve as ambassadors on the buses. An ambassador would take accountability of students leaving and coming to SU.

SA also passed a bill that appointed assembly member Thomas Simmons as the association’s historian. Treloar commended Simmons on his work related to cataloging the history of SA even before he was appointed to his new position.

The position is important because it tracks and promotes the history of SA, read the bill instating Simmons.

DISCLAIMER: Linh Le previously wrote at The Daily Orange. She is no longer involved with The Daily Orange and does not influence the editorial content of the News section.